Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2011

So you think you can Dance?

[Conversation between Reggie and Ashima, set in front of a Joann Fabrics, then moves to the alley between Joann Fabrics and Subway, Ashima exits Joann Fabrics with two huge bags, and sees Reggie in his wheelchair on the sidewalk]

Reggie: Heyyyy Mamma, where you goin with them purrchases?

Ashima: [stuttering] I'm just going home sir.... excuse me. [reggie moves his wheelchair to block her way]

Reggie: Not so fast pretty lady, I heard you talkin allll about them banks while you was perusin' the fabrics...

Ashima: Oh why yes! I love talking about the banks! I know all about them.

Reggie: [laughing] Well, now that I got your attention, "forget about the banks. The Fox got a better idea" (107)

Ashima: Idea? Idea for what...?

Reggie: An idea for us to talk about. How bout we talk about George Michael?

Ashima: [gasping] What?! George Michael! He knows a special secret of mine! "he told you something you're not telling me. Tell me, what did he say?" (45)

[Reggie laughs and rolls his wheel chair farther away and turns to face her. He throws a bottle of whisky at her, which she catches]

Reggie: "Pour me a shot'a that Turkey" (108) then I'll tell ya, then I'm gonna get reeeeeal wierd with it

[Ashima pours the shot and hands it to him, then sets the bottle down. He rolls into the creepy alley next to subway, and she follows him. With his one arm, he begins to strike various dance poses]

Reggie: I was told.... that you think you can DAAAnce!

Ashima: Well..... I can dance. And very well. In India we are taught to dance well at a very early age.

Reggie: Ok then, I challenge you to a dance off!

Ashima: [looking at Reggie distastefully] "As long as there are ten finger and ten toe" (7) I will dance off with someone, but you only have five finger....

Reggie: You can't discriminate against me cuz I'm a triple amputee! "[I] aint like this deadbeat motherf***er out here" (109)

Ashima: Well, alright then.

[Ashima sets down her bags and begins to dance violently to the disco music now coming from the built in stereo in Reggie's wheelchair, Stayin' Alive by the BeeGees comes on, and Ashima stops, letting Reggie have his turn.]

Ashima: "go ahead and start" (148) mystery man, its your turn to dance. I thought you were gonna get wierd with it?

Reggie: I'm just waiting for our judge, Ms. Serenksy

[Ashima gasps with excitement. All of a sudden, the alley gets dark and a spotlight shines down from the rooftop. Ms. Serenksy, clad in all disco gear, and in roller blades, comes skating in, stopping dramatically in the middle]

Ms. Serenksy: I will not judge you here! It is no use, I am the best dancer of them all, and I could beat an Indian mother or a triple amputee any day! goodbye!

[Ms. Serenksy skates away, leaving Ashima and Reggie confused. They look at eachother, shrug, and walk/roll away to the song "I've Had the Time of my life" from dirty dancing playing in the background. They stop, turn to look at eachother and give wistful glances, then run/ roll towards eachother and embrace]

END

No comments:

Post a Comment