Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Plumity Plum Plums

My favorite poem from this year was, "This Is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams. I love this poem, mainly because I love plums. I do not like "harvesting fruit" (254) on my own, but I love fruit, particularly plums. Although this is a stupid reason to favor a poem to others, it still was my favorite for other reasons besides the inclusion of plums. I also like how short and to the point the poem is. I feel like the poem is not a short poem, but a fun-sized one, just like I consider myself. Since both me and the poem are fun sized, I identify with it, and like it even more. "But here's where it gets interesting" (218), I am not a Swiper like the popular fox on Dora the Explorer, so I do not like the poem because it advocates stealing. In Saudi Arabia they cut the hand off someone who steals from someone else for a punishment, so I'm surprised this person even had enough appendages to be able to write the poem (if they wrote it while in Saudi Arabia). "From your perspective, of course," (45) this poem may be construde as bad because of it's shortness and lack of verbage. But I only love it more because of this. I find that the shortened diction leaves more to be imagined. Perhaps the person who stole the plums from the icebox was an arabian thief, friends with Alladin, who galavanted through the markets, stopping at the booth of a Morraccan food vendor in his icebox in the middle of the night. I like thinking about this. Or perhaps, an Alien came down to earth for breakfast and stole the plums from the icebox of the President. Who knows! Thats why I love this poem.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I agree with you. I enjoyed this poem. It was very straightforward and to the point. Yet I liked it for different reasons, because I am clearly not short and cannot identify with it in that way. I also enjoyed your allusions in this post such as Aladdin and Swiper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I also liked the fun size of the poem especially since it made it easy for us to create parody poems in class. I remember writing ours about othello and how it was a challenge to fit our ideas into such a structure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I laughed out loud when I read this entry. What a creative way to interpret this poem! I am impressed. This poem now seems very open ended, which is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete