Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Poor Goggles

Poor Goggles is the feeling I have towards Gogol in Lahiri's latest chapter. All through his life Gogol has had different intense struggles, and to now have his wife cheat on him is just terrible. First, not having true identity in his opinion, with an Indian heritage, American citizenship and Russian name, then having such an issue with his insecurity about his name, and going through that whole ordeal, and then with the death of his father, I feel so sad for Gogol because at this point, I feel like he deserves to be happy. I got so angry at Moshumi for cheating on Gogol, but I felt more sympathy for Gogol than I did anger at Moshumi. Gogol does exactly what she wants him to do, he goes out with her and her obnoxious friends, buys her nice gifts, and is a very nice and loving husband, and she repays him by cheating on him. I know Moshumi had her own reasons for cheating on Gogol, but Gogol did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment. The fact also that Gogol is so unsespecting and trusting of Moshumi, also evokes sympathy and empathy from me. He loves her so much that he is blind to her subtle differences since she had begun her affair. Over and over again, I think to myself, "Poor Goggles". Whether it is about his name, family, or marriage, the theme of sympathy for our protagonist runs strong throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment